Monday, February 15, 2010

D'abord, les Juifs

Shortly after celebrating the start of 2010, I realized a few things:

1. There are five students in my cohort of the Ph.D. program in which I'm enrolled.
2. Two are engaged, one is living with her boyfriend, and one is in a monogamous dating relationship.
3. I am not one of those four.

Consequently, my curiosity (and tendency to drink wine when lonely) overcame me, and I decided to investigate JDate. However, to view potential dates through this site, you have to create a profile. Fine, I thought. I'll just create a profile and see who's out there. I distinctly remember sending multiple texts with the message, "OMG I'm on JDate, and it's like an ugly convention!" Yet I somehow woke up with a three-month subscription. Thank you, Riesling.

A summary of my "JDates" thus far:

1. Josh. One of the first men I interacted with through the site. I wish I could say I was "young and stupid," but that was last month. He seemed nice enough; he friended me on facebook and wanted to talk on AIM. However, in my eagerness to be openminded and meet as many people as possible, I ignored what should have been red flags. Like the fact that he lived with his parents. And just got out of a five-year relationship. And worked at Borders. And thought talking on AIM counted as a "date." Nevertheless, we planned to meet at a sushi place for dinner. Dinner was fine; there was some awkwardness when I ordered wine and he ordered tea for both of us, despite my insistence that I didn't need any, but otherwise, I thought it was going fine. Just that, not great, not best date ever, just "fine." Apparently, my date felt differently. Before we finished eating, he announced that he was ready to take his profile down from the website, then proceeded to enumerate the ways in which I was better than his previous dates. I'm not sure "deer in headlights" adequately reflects how I felt...more like "deer happily skipping along simultaneously steps into bear trap and bumps into hick with machine gun." I smiled and nodded. Then the bill. I'm old fashioned. I believe a gentleman should pay, especially on the first date. Josh tells me about some issue with his direct deposit. Oh, and he drove three hours across the state to meet me for dinner. An inauspicious beginning.

Summary of JDates 2, 3, and 4 to come.

JDate update:
- new emails today: 2
- emails to date: 38
- profile views to date: 185
- flirts to date: 13
- E-cards: 1
*joined January 8, 2010

Match update:
- new emails today: 15
- emails to date: 54
- profile views to date: 668
- winks to date (not totally accurate, I deleted maybe 15 the first day): 68
- interests to date (again, have deleted some, maybe 20): 40
- favorited me to date: 14
*joined February 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment