Saturday, February 20, 2010

Have a safe day

After a week of self-imposed isolation from anything non-work related, I will continue to summarize my JDates. But first, a follow-up with JDate #1 (Josh):

If I was unsure of his intentions by the time he headed home at the end of the night, luckily he sent me a few texts on his way, "Thank you sooo much!!!", "Miss you already!" ...to which I did not respond, but immediately texted my girlfriends about. And because I don't think I could adequately convey the message by summarizing, please see the email I received the following day:

I know I’ve thanked you a million times, but I had to do it one more time! I promise this is the last one ;-) I had an amazing time last night night, and in all honesty have never had a first date like that before! You are so wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, cute, funny and much more :-) I was serious too when I said that I would like to pursue a relationship with you, and I hope you were serious about it as well. Something just clicked and I feel like we connected sooo well! I know we’ve only had one date, but I feel that there is something special here. Like I said this has NEVER happened to me before!!! I guess sometimes it only takes a date :-)

Please put more smiley faces in your email. It was at this point that I realized how desperate this individual was to be in a relationship, any relationship. And how maybe sorority recruitment trained me a little too well in how to carry on a conversation even when have zero interest in the person. I did, in fact, respond to this with a "whoa there, calm down" type message. The next email:

Im so soory that you're feeling spooked, that certainly wasn't my intention. I wasn't insinuating rushing into a boyfriend girlfriend situation at this point. I was just saying that I had a wonderful first date and that I felt a connection. I also said that I was interested in pursuing a relationship but not commiting to one so quickly. I would like to continue to see each other and see where it goes. Believe me I want to make sure it's right and take our time, and I do not in anyway want you to think that you are a rebound. I certainly wasn't expecting to meet someone so quickly that I could realistically see myself pursuing a relationship with down the road. I would never ask a girl to be my girlfriend following one date.

I'm not sure what kind of response he expected. If you're freaking a girl out after just one date, where could the relationship possibly go? So that was the end of Josh...for about a month anyway, until he sent me another email apologizing and saying he'd been thinking about me. This time, I'm not responding.

Unrelated, I recently received a message with the closing, "Have a safe day." I'm not sure what this man thinks the life of a grad student entails, but it's probably more interesting than moving between my desk, bed, and office as locations in which to read and write things.

JDate update:
- emails to date: 38
- profile views to date: 190
- flirts to date: 14
- E-cards: 1

Match update:
- new emails today: 4
- emails to date: 82
- profile views to date: 1,109
- winks to date (not totally accurate, I deleted maybe 15 the first day): 110
- interests to date (again, have deleted some, maybe 20): 88
- favorited me to date: 17

Have a safe day.

No comments:

Post a Comment